Amanda grew up in Burnaby, BC and has lived in Kamloops since 2017. She is married with 1 large dog and loves animals and Harry Potter! Her background is half Italian and half Scottish, and she enjoys eating, audible books, true crime podcasts and traveling!

Q & A with the Author:

Moving to Kamloops and not being able to find anything like this, or at least all in one place! Wanting to know where all the best places to eat are, as well as wanting to find any up coming news on new food places coming to town! Kamloops is expanding!

I also love buying from local vendors and am always on the hunt for new ones!

So that you can get an idea of what my food and drink tastes are; my likes and dislikes. That way you can almost use it as a measure against yourself, and to see if you may like the places I liked and etc.

The Art we Are! It’s hard to explain…it’s it’s where I feel most comfortable and it has the most delicious food (and lattes). It also has local artisans work inside that you can purchase and, it is colorful, whimsey and fun. It reminds me a lot of Mrs. Weasleys kitchen with all the mismatching chairs and the food is homemade and so good! My go to dishes there are: Turkey panini (with apples and brie), soup with corn bread and peanut butter oats baby.

I honestly can’t choose which one. I love cheesecake, lemon meringue, pumpkin pie, danishes, cinnamon buns and macaroons. Other dessert flavor combinations that I love are: salted caramel, lemon, lemon poppy seed, almond, peanut butter and birthday cake.

Anything with ham and pineapple.

Apple with melted brie with turkey and cranberry.

Garlic mashed potatoes!

I’m not a very adventurous eater so anything too outside of my norm. I don’t like anything spicy. I also don’t like sushi, tomatoes, anchovies…those sorts of things.

Beermosas, orange juice and lager beer, are my favorite alcoholic drink. However, I also like radlers, rum and cokes, white wines, ciders and mixed cocktails (i.e pina coladas and bellinis).

I love dirty chai lattes and chai tea lattes.

I’ve been told, and now also lovingly refer to my own taste, like that of a 3 year old’s! I love sugar! Desserts and sweets are my favorite “category” of food and I swear the only way to eat grilled cheese is with a Kraft single slice (which grosses many people out). I’m also the only person I know who willingly eats candy corn over Halloween.

With lots of creamer and very little coffee. However, I’m slowly and slowly reducing the creamer in coffee, in hopes to get more used to the more coffee less sugar ratio!

We try to only eat out only once a week, on the weekends.

Well, I used to love “junk”- Junk food, cheap candy bars, $8 wine and greasy pizza. And don’t get me wrong, I still love those things but I’m finding more often than not I will go for Purdy’s chocolate, homemade desserts or dishes, charcuterie boards, less sweet wines and simple good meals. Quality over quantity these days!

A pie specialty store (like Vancouver’s Gabi and Jules), Cactus Club and riverfront restaurants in downtown Kamloops.

I’m lactose intolerant, I was tested about 10 years ago. Usually a little dairy doesn’t bother me but if I eat a lot I can get bad stomach pains and I need to lay down. I describe the feeling as being punched in the gut! Sometimes, if it’s worth the potential pain, I’ll just tough it out and eat foods with dairy in them , if I know I’ll be close home (i.e. Scoopz salted caramel ice cream, Earls cheesecake).

To me it’s the perfect size, not too small but not too big either. That we are a smaller city but we still have amenities like a Lululemon, Winners, Aberdeen mall and many restaurants.

I grew up in a large city and it never felt quite right. I love it here with the feel of a small, tight knit community and how kind and friendly the people are.